Saturday, January 1, 2011

Running for Panera...Antrim Park + Bethel Panera = Good Morning

The Panera Bread on Bethel Road
Yesterday I had the opportunity to visit the Bethel Road Panera. The back story to this Panera visit goes as such: A friend of mine, Abby, and I are running in a half-marathon next weekend in Orlando. Training for this half-marathon for both parties, has been a struggle to say the least. In an attempt to do a last minute training session before next Saturday's race, we agreed to meet at Antrim Park for a 6-mile jaunt. Antrim Park happens to be located just a couple of miles from the Bethel Road Panera, so I was able to convince my friend to make a morning of it...we run, then we go to Panera! What a morning!

The run yesterday was a bit of struggle, but we were able to get through the run knowing that Panera was on the horizon. As we jokingly (or non-jokingly) chanted, "Running for Panera".

The review on the Bethel Rd. Panera:

Date visited: 12.31.10
Time of day: 10:30 ish
Items ordered:
Panera Pick 2: Chicken Salad, Greek Salad
Me: Pick 2, 1/2 chicken salad on seasame semolina, 1/2 greek salad (no olives), baguette, unsweet tea
Abby: Pick 2, 1/2 tuna salad, 1/2 greek salad with olives, baguette, soda

As you will notice I strayed from my typical "pick 2" favorite, which is the sierra turkey. A friend of mine noted that I should explore the menu a little more if I am going to have a blog about Panera. The chicken salad was pretty good, but it definitely was not the best chicken salad I have had. In fact, I think the Kroger chicken salad is better than Panera's. The greek salad was good as usual. Because I strayed from my normal menu item, I didn't know if the pick 2 came with a baguette. The cashier did not offer me the option of baguette, chips, or fruit...and I was given the default white baguette. I was a little disappointed in that.

Regarding Abby's order...she noted that the tuna salad was not her very good, but everything else was very good. She also noted that Panera has really good olives. As an olive hater, I wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between olives. She confirmed that Panera olives are super good. So if you like olives, I suggest you give Paneras a whirl.

Other observations:
They have a community room! So this Panera seemed a little more spacious than those that do not have the room. Another bonus at this Panera is the samples. This is a very key component to your Panera visit. Right as you walk in the entrance, there were samples of bread sitting there waiting to be sampled. Not all Paneras do this, and sometimes if they do all of the samples are gone.

I forgot to mention that I found a HAIR in my food! More specifically, I found it nestled between the top and middle part of the sandwich. I was very grossed out, needless to say. Finding a hair in your food, in my opinion, is one of the grossest things that can happen at a restaurant. I pointed this long piece of hair out to Abby. Naturally, she was grossed out. I somehow overcame the initial disgust and pretended it was my hair. Somehow it could have happened, right? I didnt feel like complaining, and if the worst case scenerio happened, and it wasnt my hair...the people that were preparing the food seemed like they washed their hair. At the end of the day, I ate the entire meal and survived.


The sample tray...and Abby sneaking into the photo.

Anyways...this wasn't my first visit to this Panera. I have been to this one several times over the years. But this is my first official review of the Bethel Panera. Overall, I really like this layout. The community room is a plus. The restrooms were clean.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Way to go outside of your comfort zone and try something new. What will be your next risky move? Chipotle Chicken or Bacon Turkey Bravo? I think you should try their chili too.

Natalie said...

Thanks, Erin. It wasn't easy to place the chicken salad order. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know. I'm glad I did though.

My next risky move? I think that might involve exploring the soups, and I have heard a lot of good things about their macaroni & cheese.

I will be in Orlando, FL this weekend, so I am looking forward to seeing what Panera Orlando has to offer. Stay tuned...