Saturday, January 15, 2011

Columbus welcomes you, Mr. Covelli

As you know, I just recently began documenting my obession with Panera. But long before I documented this strange hobby, I have enjoyed my Panera Bread for quite some time. It is interesting to learn that a Warren, Ohio based company, Covelli Enterprises has recently aquired the Columbus area Panera Breads. What's even more interesting is the fact that as of 2005, they owned and operated over 100 Panera Breads throughout Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Florida! The annual revenues exceed over $220 million per year! (According to a Smart Business Online article)

Sam Covelli is the man behind these Panera Bread franchises, and chances are that if you live or vacation in these area you have been to a Covelli Panera. I was browsing through all of their locations on the Covelli website and was very surprised to learn that they have 22 restaurants in the southern portion (Broward and Palm Beach County) of Florida...of which, I believe I visited one years ago. Too bad I didn't pay more attention back then.

Covelli Enterprises also owns and operates several of the O'Charleys franchises.

I must admit, I know very little about this Covelli group, and even less about Sam Covelli. Regardless, it seems that the Covelli's are experts in the franchise restaurant business.

Also, there is good news for Panera fans that live in a Columbus area suburb that DOES NOT have a Panera: Mr. Covelli stated in a Business Journal article the following,
 
"I always wanted Columbus. We think there's a lot of growth in the Columbus area, but we're going to continue to grow in Cleveland, Pittsburgh and our other locations in Florida, but it's exciting to get the market."
 
My hopeful interpretation of Covelli's statement is that they plan to expand throughout Columbus wherever it makes sense. I have 2 suggestions, right from the start for Mr. Covelli: Newark & Zanesville.

No comments: