Thursday, September 1, 2011

Family. Baseball. Panera. The surprise visit to the Canton Panera.

 
Photo from our seats.
Every summer, my sister along with her two kids, visit Ohio from California. One of our many traditions include all of us going to a baseball game. Last summer, we all went to a Columbus Clippers game. This year, we traveled to Cleveland to see the Indians play. Since my other sister lives in Cleveland, this made everything very convenient.

The game was on a Saturday night, and the plan was to leave early the next morning. As Sunday morning approached, we were somewhat rushed out the door, to get back home. Piled up in one car was myself, my parents, and my niece and nephew (Cassandra and Nick).  I believe we were on the road by 7:30. No time to stop at one of my favorite Panera's (Westlake).

By the time we hit Independence on I-77, we all realized that making this 2 + hour drive without some caffeine and some food, was a big mistake. Huge. It was about this time that I realized we were only a short drive away from a key Panera location that I had never been - the Canton Panera located in "The Strip". Without hesitation, I suggested we make a pit stop there. Sure it was another good 45-60 minutes away, but it seemed like a good half way point to stretch and get our second winds.

Imagine my surprise, when everyone was in agreement to make this stop. Well, not everyone, as the kids had quickly fallen back asleep.

So without further ado...


The REVIEW:
Date visited: Sunday - July 31
Time of date: 9AM ish
Items ordered:
Me: Power breakfast sandwich. Unsweet tea.
Bob: Some sort of danish, black coffee
Deb: Cinnamon crunch bagel, with hazelnut coffee. 
Cassandra: Pecan pastry, hot chocolate
Nicholas: Cinnamon roll, hot chocolate


Upon pulling up to this Panera, I could tell this would be a good one. After all, this is right in Covelli's back yard. (Covelli is based out of Warren, OH). It is located in a strip center, sandwiched between an Old Navy and an Office Max. Being so early on a Sunday, the only cars at this center were Panera customers. As we walked through the parking lot, you could hear the relaxing music emanating from the speakers.

I personally, wanted to sit outside as their patio seating seemed very inviting. That was quickly shot down, as most in our party yearned for the AC.

After I placed my order, I noticed a brochure for the "Panerathon" which was scheduled to take place on 8.28!! The Panerathon is a 10K or 2 mile walk/run that benefits a charity. It takes place in Youngstown. After reading through the brochure, I was sold on this event. Unfortunately, I remembered I could not do the run on that day, as I had already committed to a golf outing in my grandpa's name, that happened to fall at the same time. Bummer. Perhaps next year. Any takers for 2012?




Random NOTES.
  • This was Nick and Cassandras first Panera experience. They enjoyed their breakfast. Then again how couldn't they? (Sugar and chocolate) However, Nick claimed the cinnamon pastry tasted like apples, while Cassandra claimed hers was salty? 
  • As I mentioned we visited this Panera on July 31. Which happens to be my sister Julie's birthday. Julie was sticking around Cleveland that morning and going to visit her old college. So my parents and I had Julie's kids for the day. Don't ya know, that morning we were all in such a rush that none of us, (except my dad) wished her a happy bday. I personally sat down with her and talked for a good 10-15 minutes before we left. Didn't say a word about her bday. Oops. About 30 minutes into our drive we realized our faux pas, and quickly called.
Our food + Nick and Cassandra. Not sure why Nick has a shitty grin.      

Interior shot. Also, there's Bob assessing the situation.


2 comments:

Taryn said...

Well, I'm not sure how I stumbled across your blog lol. I was craving panera and wanted to check their hours and ended up here instead. As a fellow Ohio resident and Panera fan though I couldn't resist reading your posts and checking off the ones I'd been to (yep, for this one). Anyway, I'm going to continue contemplating my own trip to panera but just wanted to say your blog made me smile! : )

Natalie said...

Thank you for reading and for your comments! After reading this I am sure you will never look at a Panera the same!