Thursday, February 24, 2011

The long way to Grandview Panera...

I like the exterior...very retro, no?
It was a big day this past Saturday at the Grandview Panera. Joining me on this outing was Amy, the pregnant one...Abby, the vegetarian...and Kelly, the non-dog lover. Prior to the Panera visit, I met Abby downtown for a run. In typical Ohio fashion, the weather made a 180 degree turn in one day. Friday was sunny and gorgeous with a high in the sixtys...Saturday morning was sunny, but COLD and WINDY!

Back to the review...Abby, Kelly, and I picked up Amy and drove down to the Grandview Panera. Amy lives about 10 minutes north of downtown...and while driving to pick Amy up we passed at least 2 other Paneras that I could think of that would have been more convenient to go to than the Grandview Panera. Suprisingly, everyone accepted the fact that Grandview Panera was next on my list, and didn't complain. What great friends.

After driving all the way around Kelly's Barn*(See random notes for explanation of this phrase) to get to this Panera, we had difficulty finding a parking spot. Grandview Panera is located in a quiant area of town with lots of coffee shops and retail stores...it resembles a small town downtown...but trendier, if that makes sense.

Finally finding a spot to park, we enter the Panera. The layout is identical to the Clintonville Panera.

The food...
The REVIEW.
Date visited: Saturday, Feb. 19
Time of day: 11AM
Those in attendance: Me, Abby, Amy, Kelly
Items ordered:
Me: Old faithful...sierra turkey, greek salad, baguette, tea
Amy: Water
Abby: Veggie sandwich, greek salad
Kelly: Ham cheese sandwich and mac n cheese

So I ordered old faithful again...and I think I am done ordering this. This blog has forced me to try other things off the menu, and the sierra turkey has dropped down as the number one go-to in my mind.

You will notice that Amy only ordered water. She had already ate waffles with her baby daddy slash husband, Ray...but wanted to join us for some coffee talk. I offered to get her a pastry but she declined.

Abby had the veggie sandwich, but hardly ate any of it.

Kelly was kind enough to let us try the mac n cheese. This item has been on my bucket list of things to order, but I never do. After trying the mac n cheese, I will definitely order this soon. It reminds me of Velveeta shells, but much better...and it is white cheddar. If you don't like Velveeta, you probably won't like Panera's version.

Random NOTES.
  • We sat in a booth. I sat on the inside of the booth, and Amy sat down next to me. She got up abruptly and claimed that the seat was messed up. I was focused on my food, and thought she was crazy. She switched with Kelly, and Kelly confirmed the cushion was missing from her side of the seat. I later sat in that seat and can confirm that fact myself.
  • Abby and Kelly got overserved on Friday night. Kelly seemed to still be overserved throughout lunch and the ride home. Also, Abby sat facing the door. At one point, Abby quickly ducked down in the booth and covered her face. Apparently Abby and Kelly became BFFs with a group of people at the bar, and one of them showed up at Panera. It was quite entertaining to see how you can have two personalities...one when you are drinking and another one sober. To copy the style of  Fearless and Laughing...here's quote to always live by: "Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
  • They had brownies as the sample....and they were delightful.
  • As I write this, on Thursday Feb. 24 at 8PM...Amy has yet to give birth. I picked this date in the poll...looks like I didn't win this one.
  • Kelly's Barn: This is a phrase stolen from my grandma and dad. I don't know if it is just a Southeastern Ohio thing, but I find this phrase both entertaining and fun. It means you went the long way around to get somewhere. This phrase perfectly describes how we ended up at Grandview Panera...we drove all around Kelly's Barn to get there.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Like the caption for the photo, I am sure David would appreciate. Also found this blog hysterical. But I don't understand who craves Panera after being over-served?

Natalie said...

I have found Panera to be one of my favorite hangover remedies. You should try for yourself.

Erin said...

Ohh and thanks for the lesson on Kelly's Barn, thats a new one for me.

Susan Nash said...

my mom always refereed to "Robin Hoods Barn", as in "We had to go around Robin Hood's Barn to get there"