Monday, February 14, 2011

The show down: Panera vs. Atlanta Bread Co.

The entrance to the HHI Atlanta Bread Co.
I lived in the Hilton Head, SC area for about four years. During my time at HHI, I became accustomed to the casual cafe bakery chain...Atlanta Bread Company. Not being aware of how strong my true love for Panera Bread was at this time, I always enjoyed my ABC visits. It was ABC that we would frequent after church on Sunday, for an early morning breakfast, or even for a meeting with potential customers for lunch. Yes, ABC was always a good time. My menu item of choice was the "Half & Half", the ABC version of Panera's "Pick 2". I would typically order the ham and cheese sandwich with a greek salad, and the unsweet tea.

I can recall going to Panera on some of my visits home to Ohio and thinking that Panera was way better than ABC. I always wished for a Panera to come to the island. That dream came true, only a couple of months before I moved back to Ohio.

My dog, Boomer on the ride home. He is really good in the car,
but for some reason always looks so pathetic.
This past week, in one last attempt to escape Ohio's winter I packed up the car along with Deb (my mom) and my 4-legged friend, Boomer! I already warned Deb of my plans to review the HHI Panera, so she was fully aware of the inevitable Panera visit. What I neglected to warn her about was the fact that I needed to visit ABC from the eyes of a "Panera Addict".

On the very first morning in HHI, I steered off course and drove to the HHI Atlanta Bread Co, located on the north end of the island. Immediately upon walking into the establishment, I felt a sense of comfort. This ABC represents a fun time in my life...and now represents the fact that I am on vacation when I visit.

Despite this sense of initial comfort, my critical Panera Addict eyes soon awoke. The overall atmosphere of an ABC is far less superior to ANY Panera. It is hard to explain how this is so, I think it just comes down to the fact that Panera's seem to be decorated so much warmer. ABC's are decorated very plainly...white walls, brown floors, natural wood tables. In a word, "blah". I never noticed this "blahness" until my finely tuned "Panera Addict" eyes took over...so I really doubt many other people notice this. I do challenge you to compare for yourself. You might be surprised.

The items ordered. Note the "Pink" magazine. I usually pick up a
copy when I visit the ABC to read up on all things HHI.
I ordered half of a ham sandwich and the black bean and corn salad, with an unsweet tea, of course. Deb opted for a cinnamon raisin bagel and a coffee. Comparing the food is much more difficult than reviewing the overall look and feel of the cafes. On one hand, I enjoyed the options available at ABC. But on the other hand, the sandwiches and salads at Panera are much better. One of my favorite surprises was the black bean and corn salad. It was 9AM and I wanted something with a little substance, and I remember from experience that the ABC breakfast sandwiches are nothing to write home about. But I didn't want a full lunch meal. I was happy to see the "half-sandwich" option...and even happier to learn that it comes with my choice of either: Chips, cookie, potato salad or the black bean/corn salad. And I think it was priced around $4. What variety!! The black bean salad was AWESOME.

For all of you sweet tooths out there...Deb's experience confirms that Panera is still King of the bakery. In an effort to find a suitable substitute to the Panera cinnamon crisp bagel, Deb settled for the cinnamon raisin bagel. And "settle" she did. It was no match for Panera. In further conversation, Deb also acknowledged that the Panera bakery items are way better than ABC.

Let's recap:
FOOD:
ABC has some interesting options on their menu, like the black bean and corn salad. When it comes to food quality, however, Panera is the winner.

ATMOSPHERE:
Hands down Panera is the winner.

PRICE:
The ABC "Half/Half" was $7.19, and it doesn't come with the option of chips, baguette or apple. Panera's "Pick 2" runs about $6.59.

In the end....
Panera 2.5
ABC 0.5 (I give them half a point because of the black bean salad)

Panera wins!!!

No comments: