Sunday, August 25, 2013

3 Ladies and a Panera.

With my move from Ohio to Florida, I have a new home base Panera...actually I have 3 local Panera cafes that I can call home. Let me begin my reviews of each by first discussing the Destin Commons Panera, located in Destin, FL.

I must admit, I have a bias toward the Ohio Panera Breads. Why? Covelli. (The franchise group in Ohio) They run a smooth operation, and set the bar high.

My first visit of the Destin Commons Panera took place way back in February. I was visiting before I moved here. On the journey with me was my mom and her good friend/neighbor from Ohio, Tami. Tami happens to be a long-time Destin snowbird...or to put it more politically correct...a "winter guest". Tami graciously showed us around town as we spent the afternoon apartment hunting. It goes without saying, that a Panera visit was much needed.

Without further ado, let me set the scene:

It was a rainy Saturday afternoon. We set out on our journey to find my future housing. Because food is my main motivator in life, I suggested that we visit Panera before we get too deep into the apartment hunting. 

We set out for Destin Commons. For those of you unfamiliar, Destin Commons is the quintessential outdoor shopping center that most larger cities and vacation destinations now seem to require. There is something for everyone there. The 2 large "anchor" stores are Belk and Bass Pro Shop, but sandwiched between those 2 stores are dozens of other stores, shoppes, and boutiques that cater to a variety of interests and individuals. Naturally, you will find a Starbucks here as well. And for a later post, an excellent restaurant called Zoe's Kitchen.

My first impression? Loved it from the outside. Dreaded the inside. Why? Well, here's a picture of the outside. It's unique. And below is the line we had to wait in.
Cool exterior, no?
Long. Stagnant. Line.

Another vantage point of the line.
Now, I have been back to this Panera and several other area Panera's since this initial visit. They all suffer from being overwhelmed during the peak eating times. I understand things slowing down during these times. But it's difficult for me to understand why it is so backed up from 11:30-1:30ish everyday. Seems like another cashier would be a good investment.

Moving on from my complaining...

Here's THE REVIEW:

Date visited: Saturday, February 23 (Kind of guessing on that date. I know it was in Feb.)
Those in attendance: Myself. Deb. Tami.
Items ordered:
Myself: BBQ chicken salad - acai/unsweet iced tea
Deb: Pick 2. Sierra Turkey. Tomato basil. Unsweet tea.
Tami: Asian Sesame salad. Coffee.
Clockwise: Asian Sesame Salad, BBQ Salad, Sierra Turkey

Random NOTES:

  • This layout is huge. No community room. No drive-thru. But it has a nice spacious layout.
  • It's is always super cold. So bring a sweater. 
  • Rain. Our weekend in Destin consisted of a downpour everyday. All day. 
  • Tomato basil. I forgot to mention that I got Deb hooked on the tomato basil soup. It is freaking awesome. 
  • Asian Sesame salad. Tami- I forget if you ordered that salad. From the pictures, that is the only thing that it resembles.

Random PHOTOS:

This photography does Destin Commons better justice. Please note, I have completely stolen these images from the web. I don't own any of them. Does that count as a legal disclaimer?





Zoes Kitchen. Yum.



No comments: