Friday, July 14, 2017

Chicken Salad Sandwiches

Let's talk chicken salad sandwiches.

Virtually every cafe/deli in America sells it, and Panera is no different. For the past year or so, I have been on mission to find the best chicken salad. It is more of a self-proclaimed mission, and I have been rather silent about the search...but it is time to unleash my findings.

Let's first discuss the Panera version, known on the menu as the Napa Almond Chicken Salad on sesame semolina sandwich. I like it. Is it my favorite? Absolutely not. Top 5? Maybe. But it is a reliably good chicken salad sandwich that appeals to the masses. There is no secret kick to this recipe. It's not showy. Reliable. That's the best description I can come up with. It's like a Toyota Camry. Reliable. Efficient. Gets the job done. But certainly not showy. If you are in search of a good sandwich and are overwhelmed with the Panera menu board, I suggest the chicken salad sandwich.

The ingredients are as follows:
All-natural, antibiotic-free chicken, diced celery, seedless grapes, almonds & their "special" dressing. Served with lettuce and tomato on sesame semolina bread. (I always opt for the whole grain)
Propaganda photo taken from Panera website.


Calorie wise, it's rather substantial at 700. But it does fill ya up. Which is key. 

Atlanta Bread Company

Moving along to Panera's rival...Atlanta Bread Co. I recently had the opportunity to try their version out. I got it at the Atlanta airport, so I am wondering if these ingredients are accurate...but this version had a dijon mustard taste to it. Odd? Yes. Good? I thought so.

If I had to compare between ABC or Panera, I think I would choose ABC. I like a little kick in my food, and the ABC version offered that kick. The sandwich also included lettuce, tomato, and onion. I think onion was the key factor for me. Since I soon boarded a flight post indulging in the sandwich laced with onions, I can imagine my fellow flight passengers wished I opted against the onions.

Here are ABC's ingredients:


Nutritionals: They claim it only has 440 calories. 


Random Note:
This post was sitting in my draft folder for 4 years! I re-read the post and still believe I am spot on.

No comments: