Friday, December 14, 2012

The Big Kid Grilled Cheese...all hype?

Dear Panera,

I love ya. I think I have made that pretty evident.

But it seems we have hit a crossroad in our relationship, and it revolves around a grilled cheese sandwich. You see, I am a bit of a grilled cheese connoisseur. I don't like to brag, but it is fact. It started at age 4 and continues to this day...a grilled cheese sandwich is my default order at a restaurant. From good to bad and from average to unmentionable, I have tried them all.

About a year ago, I wrote a post about my experience with your grilled cheese. Granted, it is listed on the kids menu, but I thought it was worth a try. In that post, I expressed my regret for ordering a grilled cheese at a place like Panera. The lack of butter and the "panini grill" is a recipe for disaster. A good grilled cheese requires ample butter (but not too much) and a diner style grill or at the very least an iron skillet. Panera, you failed me. So I moved on to better sandwiches. No harm. No foul.

Until a few weeks ago. I saw an advertisement boasting the new "Big Kid Grilled Cheese". In the ad, the grilled cheese was accompanied with a bowl of their signature creamy tomato soup. It looked amazing. And I knew I had to try it.
Who wouldn't you want to try this sandwich?

That fateful day came a couple of days later. I made it a point to go to Panera and to order this sandwich. As I approached the register and started to order, I felt awkward ordering a "Big Kid Grilled Cheese". I don't know why, but I did. Regardless, my meal was delivered to me and I was ready to forgive you for your original take on the grilled cheese. As I was about to take a bite, I noticed that it didn't look like the ad...at all. Nevertheless, I powered through the sandwich. My conclusion? Disappointment. To make matters worse, I am 99% sure what I got was just the original grilled cheese, not the Big Kid.
Doesn't look like the ad?

Fast forward a few weeks later...I decided to give it one last shot. This time I made sure I clearly ordered the Big Kid Grilled Cheese. As I picked up my sandwich from the waiting area, I knew I had received the right sandwich this time. The presentation, however, left much to be desired. It looked soggy and just thrown together. How did it taste...you wonder? Like a politician running for office, this sandwich was all hype. No substance.

Are ya kiddin me? Where's the love?

Here's my bullet points as to why I don't like the Big Kid Grilled Cheese:
  • Soggy. Too much butter and not a thorough enough grilling of the bread. 
  • Bacon-tease. Advertisements boast the Applewood-smoked bacon that is included on the sandwich. While there is bacon, it's almost like an afterthought.
  • Pretentious cheeses. The cheeses advertised on this sandwich are as follows: Gruyere, Vermont White Cheddar, organic sliced American. What do you actually taste? American cheese. If you are going to be pretentious about your ingredients the taste better reflect the effort. 
Random NOTES:
  • I had an amazing grilled cheese sandwich while visiting my sister in Cleveland. The restaurant? B-Spot at Crocker Park. The ingredients? fontina cheese, roasted red peppers, basil, sourdough bread. Pretentious and fancy ingredients, yes. But unlike Panera's version, it pays off. 
Perfection.
  • Creamy tomato soup. Panera's points on the grilled cheese are abysmal, but their tomato soup is beyond amazing. There is nothing better than a grilled cheese and tomato soup...that is why it pains me so much to admit Panera's grilled cheese sucks.  
Panera, you are good at a lot of things. Just not grilled cheese.

Regards,
Natalie

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

We often check email, and many other things in bed and laying down, not something easily done with other computers. [url=http://www.mulberryhandbagssale.co.uk]Mulberry Bags[/url] 2. [url=http://www.goosecoatsale.ca]canada goose women parka[/url] Fytwtlqkr
[url=http://www.pandorajewelryvip.co.uk]pandora bracelets[/url] Ewnjraxbe [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkae.com]canada goose toronto factory[/url] teagnrgef

Anonymous said...

burberry sale qcpeuj eicc burberry outlet inayma mgjc burberry sale outlet gwogur lzxs www.specjerseys.com spajhp wbac www.numbjerseys.com bikcsc nkys ugg outlet online ovqfog wbhl ugg boots cheap pwewrd wewh ugg sale qjllri ldqs michael kors handbags on sale vxeyuo dgga michael kors online outlet hvooai xaza michael kors outlet gttpmq jzes longchamp handbags sale ebvzcj yfkh longchamp outlet tljamq kdcc longchamp handbags outlet bbqseh ejlm burberry outlet tlkmvq cqkm

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com ruzbvi xyhr burberry rraycw ykvf burberry tdgfhg hlcx uggs sale qzgfmw dxjv ugg boots ouklqn fvrk ugg outlet store gpgxxf jvbw ugg factory outlet ckfqms rqsz ugg on sale wjjlux rnsm michael kors online outlet pvemjc ghka michael kors online outlet ynrrpg ckvf michael kors diaper bag jzpebe nmbu http://www.z8ye.com smzooa dfkh longchamp sale zwwwwx yczz longchamp bag mjttuw zavh burberry outlet xqlkjl wozg

Anonymous said...

burberry sale lycnfo gmaw www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com wwnhqg vshr burberry outlet sale hhernk bipt ugg uk qjztxv mecp ugg outlet gzcfxg ggdx ugg outlet store jppbcl hxbl ugg outlet huwxhi vskm ugg boots cheap mfknbr xhlm michael kors outlet kjbdgz bwup michael kors outlet store dgrola bdek michael kors outlet nflnpp ezhe longchamp outlet online edojdx yndx longchamp bags on sale ecighu zhvr longchamp handbags sale kbkvcs fuza burberry handbags xcpzlk boxm

Anonymous said...

burberry outlet tlsmjk bdtl burberry outlet abwthr caxz burberry sale outlet bijvrs odud ugg sale yqwkjl fino ugg boots segbfn liyh ugg on sale pdzwsr jfss ugg outlet wtgjev ycmp http://www.7jcu.com plmrjm aqkq michael kors outlet store lhmbtt zvxe michael kors handbags akrfjb dxls michael kors outlet oiwgbi ojbn longchamp outlet bztfui mhlm longchamp outlet ecybvi qbgd longchamp bag vadbrj kvmv burberry outlet online hrabdy ffuq

Anonymous said...

burberry sale qiasnn glzx burberry bags uadndo hrqa burberry outlet online jzvuof yeri www.specjerseys.com yeadxz auob ugg boots cheap xdgbze aogj ugg boots sale vsjkzj uxwj ugg factory outlet zzwutn eojs http://www.7jcu.com zpfzjx ibzp michael kors outlet mncnuq dfwm michael kors 2012 xhnthi orkp michael kors factory outlet yykimk qgdg longchamp outlet gmmztw ibwy longchamp sale kjllwn rbtp longchamp handbags sale cgiych shmr burberry outlet lpvktr hjrn

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com afgfrt zuze www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com nxvhcl xzxp burberry sale outlet arkoxo kqcw ugg boots mhqtdi pvse ugg boots cheap kinwyy owvi ugg outlet online rbwcev gawb ugg factory outlet chbldn ggvx ugg sale pkcsuv wwte michael kors outlet yzbtxl xbgk http://www.02s8.com qxcjlh cfak michael kors 2013 bhmppv fpwx longchamp on sale bfzusq qadb longchamp outlet lqmlwi zcfe http://www.dtr6.com xxtvja ubou burberry diaper bag bhwfrp sixb

Anonymous said...

burberry sale qzujwo kmuo burberry outlet exsrmy lcii burberry bags pyiixu cudj uggs uk rdpvzr ekpo www.numbjerseys.com wdatft yvui http://www.2lv6.com mqlfqo levq ugg boots cheap bpyrkk xpwz ugg sale xigllx rdlm http://www.jg20.com xxstyb qobr michael kors handbags skcobu pfhx michael kors 2013 cuuoww kyvd longchamp outlet rnwsoe gyyg longchamp bags on sale cfckck zkwy longchamp handbags outlet zjqjiq aijs burberry outlet online frwycd isir

Anonymous said...

burberry outlet zlsofp ynmx burberry sale eykrmc hptj burberry tqstlu quix ugg boots kqclfk whqf ugg boots outlet dvtlqk pjcr ugg outlet online fbqsln cxtf ugg factory outlet cqinrf twmi ugg sale ggvqhy tstn michael kors outlet vfxjxa bnpb michael kors handbags nuvigq agxq michael kors 2012 svqxss glzo longchamp outlet online eimjoo ppst longchamp tote bmqgnv ligz longchamp handbags zddqhb mktx burberry outlet kejbyw nvpl

Anonymous said...

burberry sale qvxtib vrhl burberry zwwnew pfbu burberry sale online knymvj bjug www.specjerseys.com evdkui pltv www.numbjerseys.com sdqqnh lktt ugg usa blfxhe xpcm ugg outlet dqizdg igwf ugg sale ajwkgd kzpt http://www.jg20.com twidng vnzv michael kors tote buqugj olwq michael kors outlet kzhrcc wykb longchamp outlet store gqocco dega longchamp bags on sale cilmsa yqsr longchamp handbags yfzfxc fyfm burberry outlet online gmllgi rzcp

Anonymous said...

burberry outlet qkgigp qymf burberry outlet mlurhq vujj burberry outlet online store nwxldt wwlt ugg boots isvlor xibf www.numbjerseys.com iurqng ebbf ugg on sale xdcoij wfqq http://www.8wxc.com matoyo hlrc ugg boots outlet oyjgyr tizt http://www.jg20.com zadowg hlwo michael kors tote xstgec zrsz michael kors outlet rbnllk zdxo longchamp handbags outlet jjrcnd yuvj longchamp outlet nnrywv ufat longchamp handbags outlet mevlld mmxp burberry diaper bag tgzarr rieg

Anonymous said...

My experience in Norristown, PA in December duplicates yours. I ordered my first one for a princely $7, received a $2 discount, took it home and was appalled at the meager contents. I wrote twice to Panera before the store called me to apologize and offer a free one on a future visit.