Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Panera's Dirty Dishes

I've used the phrase "selective listening" many times in my life. And...If I am being completely honest, I have been guilty of selective listening a number of times myself. We all know what I am talking about, selective listening implies that you only really hear what you want to hear.

Could the same be true for "selective observing"? I ask that question because ever since I started this blog, my aunt continues to notify me every time she comes across her biggest Panera pet peeve. She sends me a picture on most of her Panera visits that solidifies her argument. Somehow, I still continue to eat at Panera and always forget to look for myself.

What am I talking about? The silverware. I have yet to witnessed this myself, but the following photographic evidence will prove her theory...

Exhibit A: Not the cleanest spoon. True.


Exhibit B: From a separate visit.
It appears that the spoons are the real violators when it comes to the dirty dishware. But why can't Panera seem to get these spoons clean? Personally, I am a big believer in Cascade detergent. There are many things that I skimp on, but dish washing detergent is not one of them.

On my next Panera visit I will make a focused effort to notice the silverware. Or perhaps I will selectively only see what I want to see. After all, ignorance is bliss.

So I ask, has anyone else out there witnessed this phenomenon? This lady wants some answers!
This must have been a rare clean spoon find...
Random NOTES:
  • Fun fact: I am told that my aunt refers to Panera, as "Paners" (pronounced "PANAIRS")
  • My cousin sent me this picture of her Panera purchase. She was appalled by the grease. I wanted to post this picture to comment on my families classiness...Panera pastries and Captain Morgan!! Class.
 
  • I have yet to dined at Panera with my aunt. Beth, let's make that happen?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I am sorry I missed a Panera excursion with you on my last Ohio trip. If only I had the resources I would fly in just to have lunch with you and Beth, just for the company not so much for Panera, as I have one 1.5 miles away from my house.

I want to file a Panera complaint on your blog. The last time I was at the Stapleton Panera in Denver they were out of Chicken. That takes away 3/4 of their menu. None of their employees seemed to think this was an issue, I did. I've decided the only thing that keeps me coming back are their baked goods including their baguette and I do enjoy the occasional Chai.

Natalie said...

I feel your pain. It's interesting to observe how cavalier they can be when key items are missing from the menu. They frequently run out of whole grain bread. And by while grain bread, I mean everything and anything whole grain. When they tell you they are sold out, it is said in a very matter-of-fact tone.

Chicken being sold out is a new one! I can imagine you would have been livid. Especially because it probably took you ten minutes to decide what you wanted.

Next visit to Ohio will involve a large Panera gathering. They are opening one in Heath. Charlie will love it!

Anonymous said...

Hi -- I'm a freelance writer working on a story about you and your blog for mypanera.com. Can we set up a time to talk?

Thanks!
Suzanne
SBBopp@aol.com

Anonymous said...

I've noticed the silverwear looking a bit distressed from my many visits. I don't think it is the dishwasher, just the finish coming off the spoon from over use.

Maybe they need to change the brand of the spoon. I wouldn't go too high class because I am sure some have gone in that little trash can that I empty my trash into.