Sunday, November 13, 2011

Tailgating, Buckeyes, and the Lane Avenue Panera!

If you haven't already heard, Panera just opened a new location on Lane Avenue in the heart of campus. It is housed in the former Cooker building just a few doors down from Varsity Club. When I think of this strip of Lane Avenue, I think of tailgating, partying, and Buckeyes. So when I first caught wind of Panera setting up shop here, I was skeptical. Who is going to grab a pick 2 in the midst of tailgate time? After visiting this Panera, I now understand the method to their madness...quite frankly, I think it is genius.
It was fate. I had no other choice but to have lunch there.
A couple of Friday's ago, I had a couple of appointments in the Grandview area. After leaving my last appointment, I see a huge billboard that states the Lane Avenue Panera is NOW OPEN! I was legitimately not hungry at this point in time...but how could I dismiss this obvious sign of fate? I needed to go to this Panera, and it needed to happen now. I made a quick u-turn, forced myself to get hungry, and happily walked into the Lane Avenue Panera.



THE REVIEW:
Date visited: 10.30.11
Time of day: 11ish
Items ordered: Med veg, chips, unsweet tea
At 8,500 square feet, this Panera is HUGE! As I was walking to the entry, I noticed the large patio seating area that spanned across the front and the back of the building.

I was greeted by 3 Panera associates at the entry and another managementesque Panera associate near the cash register. As they had only been open a couple of days, I imagine this is proper protocol for a new store. I find it rather annoying, and a bit of an overkill. I suppose they gotta do what they gotta do though.

Once again, I was set on ordering something new and exciting, but cracked under pressure once at the register and ordered my new default: The Med Veg. After placing my order, I filled up my tea and looked for a good place to sit while my food was prepared. Even though this Panera is huge, it was difficult to find a good place to sit. There were several college students scattered throughout the restaurant studying who cherry-picked all of the good seats.

Random NOTES:
  • Genius ideas: They have a separate entry on the side next to a "To-Go" section. I have never seen this at a Panera, and it doesn't make sense for every Panera. However, considering where this Panera is...it is genius. Perfect for tailgating time.
  • Bathroom: It's a 3-staller..and it is rather huge. Keep this in mind during tailgate time as well. Avoid the porta-potty line and visit Panera. Grab a coffee or bagel to go while you are at it.
  • I think this Panera location could be a sign of what's to come at a campus near you. I bet this location rakes in a ton of money during game days. I wonder if this has been done at any other campus across the nation?
  • Community Room: Naturally, a campus Panera needs a community room. And this one is no disappointment.
  • Read up on what The Lantern has to say about the Lane Avenue Panera.

No comments: